Every Valentine’s day I make the following for Freedom, my black lab. Rather than treating him on special occasions with adult human treats, which we discourage for health and disciplinary reasons, I make a batch of these as a cute alternative.
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 Cup of hot red beat juice
- 1/2 Cup of powdered skim milk
- 1/3 Cup of margarine
- 3 Cups of flour, your choice (Rye, potato, whole wheat, white)
- 1 Cup of shredded cheese, any type
- 1/4 Cup of dried chives
You can either buy unsalted natural red beat juice at a health food store or make you own the day before by boiling and simmering a pot of red beats for 40 minutes until you reach a bright red broth. The red color in the beats is what gives the recipe additional natural flavor as well as color the cookies.
- In a large bowl, pour beat juice over margarine.
- Stir in powdered milk, salt, chives and egg.
- Add flour 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Knead 3 to 4 minutes and roll into balls.
- Roll each ball into flat circles and cut with a heart shape or any other cookie cutter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes and serve when cooled.